November 30, 2004
Most fuel efficient vehicles for 2005 announced
Ottawa – Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) released the 2005 Fuel Consumption Guide on Friday and announced the 2005 EnerGuide winners for the most fuel-efficient new vehicles sold in Canada.
Consumers can use the 2005 Fuel Consumption Guide to compare the fuel-consumption ratings and carbon dioxide emissions of passenger cars and light-duty vehicles sold in Canada. The guide is available from participating new vehicle dealerships, motor vehicle licence agency offices and Canadian Automobile Association offices across Canada or on the Web at www.vehicles.gc.ca.
Also announced today were the most fuel-efficient vehicles for 2005. The winners in each of nine vehicle classes are:
- Two-seater car: Honda Insight;
- Subcompact car (diesel): Volkswagen New Beetle TDI;
- Subcompact car (gasoline): Toyota Echo Hatchback;
- Compact car: Honda Civic Hybrid;
- Mid-size car: Toyota Prius;
- Full-size car: Chevrolet Malibu Maxx;
- Station wagon (diesel): Volkswagen Jetta TDI Wagon;
- Station wagon (gasoline): Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Corolla Matrix (co-winners);
- Pickup truck: Ford Ranger and Mazda B2300 (co-winners);
- Special purpose vehicle: Ford Escape Hybrid; and
- Van: Honda Odyssey EX-L.