Berlin, Germany – A Mercedes-Benz dealership in Berlin has celebrated its 100th anniversary, the first of a series of German stores that were established in 1909. The other dealerships are located in Dresden, Hamburg, Frankfurt and Düsseldorf.
The first car registered in Berlin was a Daimler, in 1902, while the factory set up that year in Marienfelde is the oldest Daimler factory in the world. More recently, the city became the site of the first European service station for Daimler’s fuel cell vehicles.
January 1, 1909 is considered the official founding day of the dealership, an outlet of Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft (DMG), which was created from an existing showroom and separate repair shop.
“The founding of the first five company-owned sales and service outlets forms the basis for the present-day Mercedes-Benz Sales Organisation in Germany,” said Dr. Klaus Maier, manager of sales and marketing for Mercedes-Benz Cars. “With a total of 34 company-owned branches, plus around 600 sales and service partners throughout Germany, we have an efficient nationwide network at our disposal today. At 1,200 locations in all, 60,000 employees provide optimum care and support to our customers.”
At the beginning of the 20th century, Mercedes and Benz automobiles were sold through independently-operating agents. The best-known was Austrian businessman Emil Jellinek, who named the cars Mercedes after his daughter. When car sales declined in 1906 and 1907 due to the world economy, the company turned to Benz-owned sales and service outlets to enable it to respond on its own to market conditions. In 1926, DMG merged with Benz & Cie. to form Daimler-Benz AG.