June 27, 2006
Mercedes-Benz unveils new CL-Class coupe
Stuttgart, Germany – Redesigned for the first time since 1999, the new Mercedes-Benz CL-Class two-door, full-size luxury coupe is slightly larger and roomier with a larger trunk, says Mercedes-Benz.
The V8 engine in the CL 500 now delivers 388 horsepower, a 26 percent increase, while torque is up 15 percent. The CL 500 accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in just 5.4 seconds (previous model: 6.3 seconds).
A bi-turbo V12 engine in new CL 600 offers has a 17-hp increase to 517 hp. The new CL 600 accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in just 4.6 seconds (previous model: 4.8 seconds), but consumes 0.4 litres less fuel than the previous CL 600 per 100 kilometres.
The new CL-Class also features a raft of new safety and comfort technologies, including:
- Pre-Safe brakes – Operating in tandem with Brake Assist Plus which warns the driver of an imminent rear-end collision with visual and audible signals and automatically calculates the required braking pressure to prevent an accident, Pre-Safe brakes trigger automatic partial braking where an accident is imminent using around 40 percent of the total braking power. As with Brake Assist Plus, the new Pre-Safe brakes also utilize radar technology to scan the situation in front of the car and detect a potential accident.
- Intelligent Light System – Together with bi-xenon headlamps it provides five different lighting functions that are activated to match driving and weather conditions, including cornering light function, country road mode, motorway mode, active light function and enhanced fog lamps.
- Pedestrian protection – Mercedes-Benz has designed the hood, fenders, bumpers and other components so they absorb the impact energy in the event of an accident involving a pedestrian.
- Parking guidance system – Radar sensors measure the size of a parking space when driving past and a cockpit display helps the driver park in it.
- Night view assist – Infrared headlamps and a display in the cockpit significantly increase the driver’s range of vision in the dark.
- Automatic climate control – The newly developed system operates with four temperatures zones and provides numerous settings for individual climate control.