June 29, 2006
MADD offers tips for safe summer on roads and waterways
Oakville, Ontario – Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD Canada) is urging Canadians to have a safe and sober Canada Day weekend on roads and waterways. The organization has released a five-point tip sheet to ensure holiday parties, family gatherings and cottage runs don’t turn tragic:
- Plan ahead, be sure you know how you are getting home, and arrange your designated driver or your ride.
- Arrange for alternative transportation when drinking alcohol or taking drugs. You cannot plan for every social occasion, but you can always plan your taxi or lift if you intend on partaking at the gathering.
- Avoid drinking and driving when on the roads, off-road trails or waterways. Always be sure the driver of whatever kind of vehicle it may be is sober.
- Talk your friends and family members from getting into a vehicle with an impaired driver.
- Be an example. Make a personal pledge to always drive sober; warn against impaired driving situations; and be a good host by providing alternatives to alcoholic drinks, safe travel home for your guests, or a place to stay for those who have had too much.