Washington, D.C. – Canadian and U.S. citizens crossing the border by vehicle are reminded that new document requirements will go into effect on June 1, 2009. Travellers arriving at land or sea ports should apply for approved travel documents now.

It can take several weeks to receive a document that will comply with new requirements under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).

Compliant documents include Canadian or U.S. passports; Trusted Traveler Cards, such as NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST/EXPRES; a U.S. passport card; or province- or state-issued Enhanced Driver’s Licenses, when and where they are available.

Canadian and U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 need only present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, consular report of birth abroad, naturalization certificate, or Canadian citizenship card.

For more information, visit GetYouHome.


Connect with Autos.ca