April 26, 2005
GM recalls over two million vehicles in six recalls
Detroit, Michigan – General Motors is voluntarily conducting a safety recall of nearly 1.5 million full-size sport utility vehicles and crew cab pickup trucks because the routing on the second-row center occupant seat belt may make it difficult to properly position the lap portion of the belt.
A total of 1,486.502 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab, Suburban, Tahoe, Avalanche; Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; GMC Sierra Crew Cab, Yukon XL, Yukon; and Hummer H2s from the 2003-2005 model years included in the recall.
Most of those vehicles (1,359.824) were sold in the United States. Some were sold in Canada (75,507); Mexico (9.464) and through the North America International Product Center (40,607) and to the European Community (1,356).
GM also announced the following:
- A safety recall for 332,202 (1500 Series) Chevrolet Suburban and Yukon XL from the 2000 and 2001 model years for possible overheating of fuel pump wires that could lead to engine stalling or failure to start, a possible fuel leak and/or inaccurate fuel level readings. Owners will be notified of the condition in May and again when parts are available later in the year. GM knows of no crashes or injuries related to the condition.
- A safety recall for 142,585 (1500 Series) 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups and (2500/3500 Series) 2001-2005 pickups with manual transmissions for parking brake friction than can lead to parking brake ineffectiveness and possible movement of unattended vehicles. GM is aware of 26 crashes and one minor injury that may be related to this condition.
- A safety recall for 69,037 Buick Lacrosse and Buick Allure (Canada only) 2005 models for a possible bent clip that secures the brake pushrod to the brake pedal arm pin. If a bent clip came off, brake loss would result and a crash could occur. GM is aware of one low-speed crash but no injuries due to this condition. Owners are being notified April 29 of the recall. Dealers will repair the condition for free.
- A safety recall for 39,078 Buick Rendezvous and Pontiac Azteks from the 2004 model year for intermittent stalling or failure to start due to a faulty ignition relay. GM is aware of one minor crash but no injuries due to this condition. Owners will be notified May 4 to bring their vehicles to their dealer for free repairs.
- A non-compliance recall for 22.115 Saturn L Series Wagons from the 2002-2004 model year. These vehicles were built with a center and passenger side rear seat belt anchor that do not comply with U.S. and Canadian safety standards. Saturn retailers will install a rear seat center belt anchor reinforcement plate to the floor pan of the vehicle to correct the condition. GM is aware of no injuries related to this condition.
A total of 2,091,819 vehicles are included in the six recalls.