Ford dives into the parts bin to create a sport truck for the rest of us.
During Ford’s 2014 Model Year Preview (which we were fortunate enough to attend, more on that later), the Dearborn automaker surprised us with a new package for their venerable F-150 pickup. Tremor will be available this fall and will hopefully sooth the sweet tooth of those of us looking for a sport truck but aren’t interested in buying a 6.2L Ford Raptor.
Tremor is a regular cab, short wheelbase, EcoBoost-powered truck with sport seats and a bespoke appearance package. 20-inch flat black wheels wrapped in Pirelli Scorpion rubber get power to the ground sent from a six-speed automatic though a 4.10 rear differential. The powerplant is Ford’s 3.5L EcoBoost V6 developing 365 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque and will be offered in both 2- and 4-wheel drive.
No pricing information has been announced but the truck will be available along with all the other 2014 F-150 lineup this fall.
All-New 2014 Ford F-150 Tremor Is World’s First EcoBoost-Powered Sport Truck
· 2014 Ford F-150 Tremor comes standard with the company’s powerful 3.5-litre EcoBoost® engine, offering V8 performance, V6 fuel economy and a launch-optimized 4.10 rear axle with electronic locking differential
· Short-wheelbase, regular-cab Tremor offers stylish FX Appearance Package and functional features that include a floor shifter, class-exclusive HID headlamps and standard SYNC® with MyFord Touch® connectivity system
· All-new truck’s distinctive looks are complemented by unique boxside Tremor graphics and custom-inspired interior
DEARBORN, Mich. – The 2014 Ford F-150 Tremor is the first-ever EcoBoost®-powered sport truck that addresses the needs of street truck enthusiasts looking for high-performance V8 power with V6 fuel economy.
The short-wheelbase, regular-cab Tremor goes on sale this fall delivering distinctive looks and performance. The all-new truck couples the style of the FX Appearance Package with an EcoBoost engine and a launch-optimized 4.10 rear axle – the shortest final drive ratio offered in an EcoBoost F-150 – helping provide customers with fast acceleration.
Tremor signals its sport truck capabilities with a custom-inspired FX Appearance Package featuring stealthy, flat-black accents that include unique 20-inch flat-black wheels, stylized bodyside graphics and black badges with red lettering.
Tremor is the only regular-cab F-150 offering a flow-through center console and bucket seats. Interior touches include black leather seating surfaces with red piping, brushed-metal accents and a red-stitched steering wheel. Alcantara seat inserts add texture and style as well.
“The new Tremor gives F-150 customers yet another option to drive a highly capable, distinctive performance truck with features typically found only in the aftermarket,” said Brian Bell, F-150 product marketing manager. “Plus, the Built Ford Tough EcoBoost engine is available for the first time in a short-wheelbase F-150.”
F-150 Tremor is powered exclusively by Ford’s groundbreaking 3.5-litre EcoBoostengine, which features:
· 365 horsepower at 5,000 rpm on regular fuel
· 420 lb.-ft. of torque at 2,500 rpm
· Twin independent variable camshaft timing for improved performance and fuel economy
· Up to 90 percent peak torque available from 1,700 rpm to 5,000 rpm
An electronic locking rear differential that’s standard for both two- and four-wheel-drive versions helps deliver the power to the pavement by improving traction during takeoff.
Connectivity comes standard on F-150 Tremor with MyFord Touch® powered by SYNC®. Designers have optimized the physical interface for MyFord Touch to accommodate truck users who may be wearing work gloves by providing easy access to climate controls and audio presets on the center stack.