The Ford Motor Company has presented the Los Angeles County Lifeguards with the first ten of a fleet of 45 all-wheel drive Escape Hybrids, specially equipped for use on rescue patrol along 72 miles (115 km) of Southern California coastline.
The Ford Motor Company has presented the Los Angeles County Lifeguards with the first ten of a fleet of 45 all-wheel drive Escape Hybrids, specially equipped for use on rescue patrol along 72 miles (115 km) of Southern California coastline.. Click image to enlarge

Los Angeles, California – The Ford Motor Company has presented the Los Angeles County Lifeguards with the first ten of a fleet of 45 all-wheel drive Escape Hybrids, specially equipped for use on rescue patrol along 72 miles (115 km) of Southern California coastline.

“We are the largest lifeguard organization in the world, and we have always blazed the trail for the profession,” said Mike Frazer, chief of Lifeguard Services. “We wanted to be the first public safety agency in the country to go green.”

The Lifeguard Services, a division of the Los Angeles County Fire Department, previously used compact pickup trucks on the beach. The Ford designers removed 60 per cent of the rear seat on the driver’s side and replaced it with a rescue equipment storage box, to hold items such as defibrillators, trauma boxes and oxygen tanks. The remaining 40 per cent was left intact in case the lifeguards had to transport someone. The centre console was also replaced with a radio rack for two-way communication devices, while a custom-fit roof rack was added for the paddle board and spine board.

Connect with Autos.ca