September 20, 2007
Fall is ideal time to winterize your vehicle, says Car Care Council
Bethesda, Maryland – October is the perfect time of year to pay special attention to your vehicle and get it ready for winter, says the Car Care Council.
The Council recommends the following steps for winterizing your vehicle:
- Clean, flush and put new antifreeze in the cooling system. As a general rule of thumb, this should be done every two years.
- Make sure heaters, defrosters and wipers work properly. Consider winter blades and use cold-weather washer fluid.
- Have the battery and charging systems checked for optimum performance.
- Check the tire tread depth and tire pressure.
- Change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles (4,828 km). Consider changing to winter weight oil for cold climates. Have the fuel, air and transmission filters checked.
- Check the brakes and exhaust system, and check to see that all lights work and that the headlights are properly aimed.