February 7, 2002
Corvette to Pace Indianapolis 500
Detroit, Michigan – The Chevrolet Corvette has been named Official Pace Car of this year’s Indianapolis 500. This is the 13th time a Chevrolet has paced the Indy 500, and fifth time a Corvette has performed the pace car duties.
“This is a milestone event because it will signal the start of a yearlong celebration leading up to Corvette’s 50th anniversary in 2003,” said Corvette Brand Manager Rick Baldick.
Events celebrating Corvette’s golden anniversary are planned from coast to coast. The Historic Motorama coordinated by the National Corvette Museum on June 24-28 will consist of one example from each production year to honour the more than 1.2 million Corvettes that have been produced since 1953. Corvette will be the honoured marque at the Rolex Monterey Historic Automobile Races on August 16-18, 2002 at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey, Calif.
The 86th running of the Indianapolis 500-mile race will also mark the return of Chevrolet for the first time since 1993 with the all-new Chevy Indy V8 racing engine. Chevrolet won 86 Indy car races, including six Indianapolis 500 victories, and five series championships from 1986 to 1993.
Chevrolet Indianapolis 500 Pace Cars of the Past
Chevrolet has paced the Indianapolis 500 12 times, more than any other brand:
- 1999: Monte Carlo (Jay Leno, driver)
- 1998: Corvette (Parnelli Jones, driver)
- 1995: Corvette (Jim Perkins, driver)
- 1993: Camaro Z28 (Jim Perkins, driver)
- 1990: Beretta (Jim Perkins, driver)
- 1986: Corvette (Gen. Chuck Yeager, driver)
- 1982: Camaro Z28 (Jim Rathmann, driver)
- 1978: Corvette (Jim Rathmann, driver)
- 1969: Camaro (Jim Rathmann, driver)
- 1967: Camaro (Mauri Rose, driver)
- 1955: Chevrolet Bel Air (T.H. Keating, driver)
- 1948: Chevrolet Fleetmaster (Wilbur Shaw, driver)