March 3, 2006
Consumer Reports’ Top 10 Picks are all Japanese
Yonkers, New York – Consumers Reports has named four new models, the Honda Civic, Infiniti M35, Toyota Highlander Hybrid and Honda Ridgeline to its “Top Picks” list, marking the first time that all ten vehicles on the list are Japanese nameplates since the list was introduced in 1997.
Historically, the list has been a blend of Japanese, European and domestic models; the addition of the Highlander Hybrid also puts two hybrid models on the list. The list will be published in the Annual April Auto Issue, which will be released March 7, 2006.
“Top Picks” are recommended models and all-around high-performers that scored at or near the top among competing vehicles in Consumer Reports’ testing program. They must also have average or better reliability based on the magazine’s annual survey, and perform adequately in overall crash protection, if tested by the government or insurance industry. The Top Picks were selected from among more than 200 vehicles tested.
The Top Picks are:
- Sedan (Less than US$20,000/small sedan) – Honda Civic
- Sedan (US$20,000-US$30,000/family sedan) – Honda Accord
- Sedan (US$30,000-US$40,000/upscale sedan) – Acura TL
- Luxury sedan – Infiniti M35
- Fun-to-drive – Subaru Impreza WRX/STi
- SUV (Less than US$30,000/small SUV) – Subaru Forester
- SUV (More than US$30,000/midsize SUV) – Toyota Highlander Hybrid
- Minivan – Honda Odyssey
- Green car – Toyota Prius
- Pickup truck – Honda Ridgeline