Auburn Hills, Michigan – Chrysler LLC has confirmed that Cerberus Capital Management LP, which purchased 80.1 per cent of the American automaker from DaimlerChrysler in August 2007, has approached Daimler AG about purchasing the remaining 19.9 per cent stake in Chrysler Holding LLC.

Cerberus and Daimler are currently in discussions, with no timetable given.

In a statement, Chrysler confirmed that in the event of a successful transaction, common projects between Daimler and Chrysler in the areas of research and development and advanced technologies would continue.

Connect with Autos.ca