November 2, 2007
contributors receive automotive journalism awards
Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario – The Automobile Journalists Association of Canada recognized outstanding achievement in the field of automotive journalism at a dinner held last evening in Niagara-On-The-Lake.
CanadianDriver contributors Russell Purcell and Michael Clark won Pirelli photography awards, while Laurance Yap won the Julie Wilkinson Motorsport Journalism Award. CanadianDriver senior editor Paul Williams was runner-up for the Volvo Award for Environmental Journalism.
Winners and runners-up in this year’s automotive journalism awards were:
- Journalist of the Year: Mark Toljagic, Toronto Star; runners-up: Michel Deslauriers, Auto123; Petrina Gentile Zucco, Globe & Mail
- Wakefield Castrol Award for Automotive Writing – vehicle assessment: Kathy Renwald, Toronto Star; runners-up: Rob Beintema, Metroland Newspapers; Brian Harper, National Post
- Wakefield Castrol Award for Automotive Writing – technical articles: Nadine Filion, Auto123; runners-up: Graham Fletcher, National Post; Jeremy Cato, Globe & Mail
- Julie Wilkinson Motorsport Journalism Award: Laurance Yap, Toronto Star; runner-up: Jerry Malloy, Toronto Star
- Volvo Award for Environmental Journalism: Jeremy Cato, Globe & Mail; Runner-up: Paul Williams, CanadianDriver
- Pirelli Photography Award – Published Photography: Russell Purcell, CanadianDriver; Runners-up: Amee Reehal, Performance Auto & Sound; Jim Robinson, Metroland Newspapers
- Pirelli Photography Award – Unpublished Photography: Michael Clark; Runner-up: Amee Reehal
- Car Care Canada Award for Car Safety Journalism: Jeremy Cato, Globe & Mail
- Mitsubishi Design and Layout Award: Hank Van de Vondervoort, Globe & Mail; Runner-up: Kelly Taylor, The Winnipeg Free Press
Laurance Yap’s article about his experience during the Trans-Siberian
rally was first published by the Toronto Star and reprinted in
CanadianDriver: . Paul
William’s article – What consumers want: the history and future directions
for Honda’s “Green” technology – is available .