September 4, 2007
CAA reminds motorists to be alert during back-to-school season
Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) is reminding drivers to be aware of children on foot, on bicycles, and near buses and school zones as school starts.
In a survey conducted for CAA, only 61 per cent of respondents indicated that they felt Canadians drive their cars in a safe manner. The study also found that 22 per cent of Canadians felt that safety in and around schools was getting worse over the past year.
CAA provides the following reminders for motorists:
- Drive cautiously and within the posted speed limits, especially in school zones and residential neighbourhoods
- Be sure to come to a complete stop at all intersections
- Watch for school bus and school zone warning signs, and watch for CAA School Safety Patroller crossing guards, wearing bright green vests at crosswalks
- Be aware of the potential for children to dart out from between parked cars, school buses or buildings
- Always stop for school buses that are loading or unloading