Vancouver, British Columbia – Drivers in British Columbia can start applying for an Enhanced Driver’s Licence (EDL), which also allows the cardholder to cross into the U.S. at land or water ports of entry with a single piece of identification.

For those who do not drive, or for young adults over the age of 12 years, an Enhanced Identification Card (EIC) is also available.

“We have worked very hard with the Government of Canada and federal agencies in the U.S. over the last couple of years to introduce an Enhanced Driver’s License,” said Joan McIntyre, B.C. Minister of State for intergovernmental relations. “We are delighted that we can now offer this service to all Canadian citizens residing in B.C.  Ease of cross-border travel is vital to families, communities and businesses on both sides of the border.”

A new U.S. law requires all travellers, both U.S. and Canadian citizens, to present a valid passport or other secure document when entering the U.S. from within the western hemisphere. The B.C. enhanced cards are now in the final stages of approval by the U.S. government.

The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) is now accepting appointment bookings for EDL or EIC applications, starting May 1, 2009. Both cards are voluntary and have an incremental fee of $35. For details on how to apply, visit ICBC.

Connect with