November 24, 2003
Ballard donates fuel cells to Ottawa science museum
Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian fuel cell maker, Ballard Power Systems has donated a P3 Fuel Cell bus engine and a Nexa Stationary Power Module to the Canada Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa. The museum has opened a mini-exhibition highlighting fuel cell technology and its applications. In addition to the two Ballard fuel cells, the museum also has a Ford P2000 automobile on display.
Based on principles first discovered by Sir William Grove in 1839 that combined oxygen and hydrogen to produce energy, fuel cells were first used in the 1960s to generate electricity during space travel. Burnaby, B.C. based Ballard Power Systems Inc. is a leader in the development of Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) Fuel Cells which are used in a wide variety of industrial and commercial applications.
The P3 Bus engine being donated was part of a “real-world” test project that used fuel cell powered buses in Vancouver in the late 1990’s. The aim of the project – which is ongoing – is to develop engines and fuel storage systems sufficient for use in personal and commercial vehicles. Also donated is a Nexa Stationary Power Module: the world’s first fuel cell module designed for integration into stationary and portable power generation applications. Introduced in 2001, the Ballard Nexa power module is a Stationary Fuel Cell that can generate up to 1200 watts of unregulated DC electrical power. It is ideal for use indoors as an uninterruptible power supply for emergency power generation.
Open Tuesday through Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., the Canada Science and Technology Museum is located at 1867 St. Laurent Boulevard in Ottawa. There is ample free parking on the Museum grounds.