Aug 9, 2007
Automobile Magazine names “25 Greatest Cars of All Time”
Ann Arbor, Michigan – Automobile Magazine has unveiled its list of the “25 Greatest Cars of All Time” in its September 2007 issue. The list covers both the 19th and 20th centuries.
“This feature is certain to get people talking at water coolers, kitchens, garages and bars,” said Gavin Conway, the magazine’s editor-in-chief. After assembling “the best brains the magazine has,” he says, the final list is “as intriguing as it is eclectic.” Rather than looking at numbers and statistics, the editorial team evaluated cars from the perspective of drivability, aesthetics and historical significance. The list was whittled down from an original 150 cars, which can be viewed at AutomobileMag.com.
- The cars were divided into five segments; the winners are:
- Driving Enthusiast Cars: BMW E30 M3, Ferrari F430, Lotus Elan, Porsche 911 Carrera RS and Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
- Technologically Innovative Cars: Audio Quattro, Benz Patent Motorwagen, Citroen Traction Avant, BMC Mini and Bugatti Veyron 16.4
- Supercars: McLaren F1, Lamborghini Miura, Mercedes-Benz 300SL, Ferrari F40 and Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B
- Racing Cars: Lotus 49, Auto Union, Miller 91, Porsche 917 and Dodge Charger Daytona
- Icons: Military Jeep, Volkswagen Beetle, Chevrolet Corvette, Jaguar E-Type and Ford Model T
In addition to profiles of each car, the issue includes commentary from a selection of well-known automotive stars such as Carroll Shelby and Mario Andretti, on their favourite cars of all time.