January 23, 2003
Automobile Association offers tips for motorists during cold weather
Dearborn Michigan – The American Automobile Association is providing motorists a few tips to deal with being locked out of a frozen vehicle or coping with a dead battery.
- Park your car in the garage. If you have no garage put a tarpaulin over the car. Or put a plastic trash bag between the door (or window glass) and the frame.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid fuel-line freeze-up.
- To avoid frozen door or door locks, buy a lubricant that is available in most auto supply stores.
- Heat your key (a pocket lighter works nicely), but remember to wear gloves or hold the key with pliers.
- Fill a plastic jug or bag with hot water. Hold it against the door panel or lock area. But don’t throw hot water on the car. It, too, will freeze.
- Test your battery strength to determine its cold weather cranking power.