February 12, 2003
50% of Americans have ‘made out’ in their cars
Chicago, Illinois – Romance may blossom inside a lot of cars this Valentine’s Day. A recent survey of 1,000 U.S. car owners by the International Carwash Association (ICA) found that 50% of Americans have kissed or ‘made out’ in their cars, 27% have made love in their cars, 26 percent were told they were loved for the first time in a car, or knew someone else who was; 10 percent got engaged in a car, or knew someone else who did; and 9 percent conceived a child in a car, or knew someone else who did.
Other findings from the survey:
- 90 percent of all car owners sing in their cars.
- 60 percent hold conversations with their cars.
- 38 percent have had their car play a significant role in a wedding ceremony or honeymoon, or knew someone else who did.
- 36 percent decorate the interior with trinkets such as fuzzy dice, steering wheel covers, etc.
- 34 percent made a life decision in their cars.
- 27 percent give their cars “pet” names.
- 22 percent displayed pictures of their cars.
- 20 percent hold meetings in their cars.
- 19 percent “hang out” on their car rooftop.
- 4 percent have celebrated their car’s birthday and/or anniversary.
- 4 percent have been named after a car (or knew someone else who had).