COSTA MESA, Calif., – Hyundai America’s internal design and technical center has created the “Velocity” factory-tuner concept for the company’s Veloster sport coupe. The Velocity concept proudly debuts at the 2012 SEMA show under the Hyundai banner. Velocity represents a joint effort between the Design and Engineering divisions of Hyundai America Technical Center in Irvine, California.
The Velocity concept expands on all of the original Veloster concept strengths in a factory-racer design language. 19 x 9.0 inch, HRE lightweight satin-charcoal racing wheels, tarmac-scraping lower body kit with front and rear brake cooling ducts, lift-reducing rear diffuser, oversized rear wing, and #1 racecar design graphic. While racetrack-oriented, the Velocity concept retains the original Veloster silhouette, focusing on exponential performance gains and functional design cues.
“In creating Velocity, we were inspired to take the Veloster’s original concept strengths to their fullest expression,” said Chris Chapman, head of Hyundai’s Irvine, California design center. “Velocity gave our design and engineering teams license to take Veloster far beyond everyday production car limitations.”
The 1.6-liter, direct-injected Veloster engine received customized engine modifications by Cosworth, including performance pistons, rods, turbocharger, intercooler, intake manifold, intake-charging design, fuel system and engine management. The new engine boasts more than 400 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque for explosive acceleration out of bends.
Matching the muscular exterior statement, Velocity suspension and braking modifications handle the acceleration capabilities under hood, with Brembo® 4-piston calipers and two-piece rotors, Bilstein® springs with monotube dampers, and Kumho Ecsta SPT 275/35R19 high performance summer tires. The comprehensive list of Velocity performance enhancements include:
- Cosworth engine upgrades: Pistons, Rods, Turbo, Intercooler, Intake Manifold, Intake charge design, Fuel system, and Engine Management system
- CPR Fabrication: Custom Exhaust system
- Sparco: A1 WTX 5H Helmets, gloves, shoes, and seat belts.
- Race-keeper: Race-Keeper Video GPS data Acquisition System
- Katzkin custom suede leather interior:
- Raven and scarlet themed suede with red stitching
- CPR Integrated Roll Bar
- Velocity HATCI Design Body Kit:
- Front and rear braking airflow ducts
- Lift-reducing rear diffuser
- Integrated front splitter
- Aero side skirt lip
- Oversized rear wing spoiler
- #1 racing number design motif
- HRE P40 model 19 x 9.0″ lightweight satin-charcoal wheels
- Brembo: 350x28mm two-piece Rotors and 4-Piston Calipers
- Bilstein: Monotube dampers and spring kit
- Kumho: Ecsta SPT 275/35R19 High Performance Summer Tires
Source: PRNewswire / Hyundai