February 14, 2002
Toronto Auto Show
2003 Mercury Grand Marquis debuts
Click image to enlarge
Toronto, Ontario – The new Grand Marquis made its Canadian debut at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto yesterday. A new frame, suspension and steering system for enhanced safety, ride and handling top the list of engineering advancements in the 2003 Grand Marquis.
Changes for 2003:
- The new full-perimeter frame uses strong, lightweight hydroformed steel sections for the front rails to improve frontal and offset crash performance.
- Redesigned frame cross members and new optional side impact air bags improve side impact crash performance.
- The new frame – combined with a redesigned independent front suspension and new monotube shock absorbers at all four wheels – contributes to a smoother, more controlled ride and improved handling.
- The new variable ratio rack-and-pinion steering system with variable power assist provides a more precise, smooth and even feel to the driver than the previous recirculating ball design.
- A new dual-rate brake booster automatically supplies full braking power in a panic stop even if the driver doesn’t initially apply enough pedal pressure to engage the anti-lock brakes.
The 2003 Grand Marquis will be built in St. Thomas, Ontario, and reach Canadian dealerships early this summer. Pricing will be announced this week.